This is how I choose the right colors for my accessories:
Going for metallic colors
These are the cases when I usually wear metallic colors rather than colored jewelry:
- The event asks for a classic outfit
Working with conservative clients, visiting a client for the first time, going out to a chic place,… these are occasions where I rather play it safe with golden jewelry or pearls . (I try to avoid silver as it does not suit me as good as gold)
- The rest of my outfit has a lot going on already – patterns, colors, embellishments, etc.
When my outfits have a lot of print or a lot of decoration, adding fashion jewelry in colors might be too much.
- I want to look like having money
When shopping at designer stores, I want to look like money. I do not like how people at Louis Vuitton treat me when I do look like money, I do not want to try out how they would treat me if I looked casual. A golden Bulgari ring and golden earrings – or even classical looking fashion jewelry – look richer than a painted bracelet or a leather necklace. So I know my choices for going shopping.
Going for colors
- The rest of my outfit is rather plain
If I wear a rather plain outfit like today, I can go a little crazier on the accessories. This is how the handmade necklace from Montevideo made it onto this outfit. (And because the leather repeats the colors I already use in my outfit anyway, it still looks relatively classic)
- The occasion gives me enough freedom to express myself freely
Grocery shopping, hanging out with friends, having lunch with my best friend and boyfriend (he’s the same person ;-).. all occasions to go wild when choosing jewelry. When I have to limit myself for work – why wear the same stuff at home?
- I cannot look like having money
When I hang out with students or if I am invited to parties of friends who care more about nature, good causes and their kids than about looks, I do not want to stand out as the rich bitch. Also, when travelling in third world countries, most of the time I prefer to keep my profile low.
- I want to look like summer
For me, summer calls for ethnic jewelry. Bast, wood, feathers, linen, seeds,.. this is what summer jewelry is made of!
- This is the 224th article that I write for the 365 day challenge. That includes no shopping for an entire year. No shoes, clothes nor handbags. I blog about the outfits here, hoping to inspire some other pear shaped women out there. Occasionally, I add a picture or more that I did not publish here on tumblr.
- If you enjoyed this article about showing off your knees in knee length skirts, you can read the rest of my pear shaped 365 day challenge here!
- More style inspiration for pear body types on pinterest here.
by Verena Valeria