Stand naked* in front of a full-length mirror (some feet away).
In case yo
Option 1: Estimate.
Observe your overall body shape. Focus on the shape of your torso – shoulders to hips. How do your shoulders compare to your waistline and your hips? Is your weight equally distributed?
*Underwear can disguise your real shape!
- Shoulders wider than waistline and hip line: Congratulations, you are an inverted triangle!
- Hips wider than shoulders and waistline: Congratulations, you are a pear!
- Hips and shoulders same width, waistline a lot smaller: Congratulations, you are an hourglass!
- Shoulders, waistline and hip line about same size. If you gain weight, you gain it evenly in all areas: Congratulations, you are a rectangle!
- Shoulders and hip line are about same size. Waistline is same size or wider than shoulders and hips: Congratulations, you are a apple!
Option 2: Measure
Measure the widest point of your shoulders and hips, and the thinnest part of your waist. For this you will need: Cloth tape measure, a pencil and piece of paper.
- How to measure your shoulder: You should get help with this one as it is rather difficult to do on your own. Measure in a straight line from the outer edge from one shoulder to the other. The tape should skim the highest point of your shoulders so closely, it nearly slides off. This is the widest circumference of your shoulders.
- How to measure your bust: Under the arms and around the fullest part of the chest. This is usually where your nipples are. This is the widest circumference of your bust.
- How to measure your waist: Look in the mirror: which is the narrowest part of your torso? Measure this part without holding your breath or any other cheating ;-) This is the smallest circumference of your waist.
- How to measure your hips: Stand in front of the mirror with your feet close together and look at yourself: which is the widest part of your hips? Measure this part while making sure the tape is flat. Wrap it around the largest part of your buttocks, your other hip, and bring it back to the meeting point.
How to interpret the results:
- Apple: Your shoulders and hips are around the same size. Rectangle shaped ladies have little difference between the measurements of their chest, waist and hips. You as an apple shaped girl have chest and waist measurements that are fairly close, but your hips are about six inches smaller than your chests.
- Pear: Your hips are wider than your shoulders. Your hip measurement is more than 5 percent bigger than your shoulder or bust measurements.
- Rectangle: Your shoulders, waistline, bust and hips are around the same size. Your shoulder, bust and hip measurements are within 5 percent of each other. Your waist is less than 25 percent smaller than your shoulder or bust measurements- Waist measures from 1″ to 8″ (2,5cm – 20cm) smaller than the bust.
- Inverted triangle: Your shoulders are wider than your hips. Your shoulders are more than 5 percent bigger than your hip measurement.
- Hourglass: Your shoulders and hips are around the same size. Your waistline is smaller. Your shoulder and hip measurements are within 5 percent of each other. Your waist is at least 25 percent smaller than your shoulder, hip and bust measurements. Your waist is 8″ to 12″ (2,5 – 30cm) smaller than the hip or bust measurement.
Option 3: Analyse
Go through the detailed information and see what is closest to your body type:
- Hips and shoulders have the same width; waistline has the same width or is wider
- You gain weight mainly around the waist
- Slender lower legs and arms
- Your high hip is wider than your lower hip
- Your bust and/or midriff are larger than your hips
- You might be short waisted
- Your thighs or hips are probably the narrowest part of your body
- Your hips are wider than your shoulders
- You have round, sloping shoulders
- You have a well-defined waistline (and might even have killer abs)
- Your buttocks and thighs are full and round
- Your hips, waistline and shoulders have about the same width
- You gain weight evenly, but may gain some more through the upper back or neck
- You have rather straight shoulders
- Your buttocks are flat
- You have an athletic build and a small bustline.
- You have broad straight shoulders – wider than your waistline or hips
- You gain weight evenly
- You have an athletic build
- You might have a larger chest than rectangles
- When you gain weight, you usually gain it through their torso and back.
- Your hips and shoulders have the same width
- You have round and sloping shoulders
- You have a well-defined waistline
- Your cleavage is great
- You buttocks are rather round
- Your lower hips are wider than your high hips
- Your thighs are full but narrower than the lower hips
- You gain weight proportionally